Re: Gum Stain

Joao Ribeiro (jribeiro@greco.com.br)
Sat, 27 Nov 1999 22:35:19 -0200

Hi Dave,

> You have received some good suggestions, but we are "guessing" at your
> problem. Perhaps if you give more details (the proportional of the
> ingredients in your formula, what does the print looks "ok" means, highlight
> ok? shadow ok? etc), it will be easier for us to help.

Well, I'm not much of measuring things, I only measure the gum and dichromate, the
pigment I add by eye. I brush on scrap pieces of paper until I get the "opacity" I
want and then I coat.The gum to dichromate (NH4) ratio is about 1:1, exposure is
by step wedge test, but with the test I have little problem of staining, the
pigmented area is small, these prints I am making have a very dark background, so
there is a lot of pigment left on the print.

> With alternative processes sometimes the logic runs differently from standard
> silver paper. For example, with gum and the same mix, I can coat ***very
> slightly*** thicker (by feel) to get a deeper tone, but if I coat a little
> more thicker, then I get a much lighter tone because the exposure cannot
> reach the base and so the image wash out too easily.

Very interesting point, so printing harder and developing longer is the "safe
side" for a beginner?

Thanks Dave

Joao