Re: 2 step negative enlargement for Pt ???

FotoDave@aol.com
Mon, 29 Nov 1999 00:50:20 -0500 (EST)

Hi Mark,

This is the 2nd time I saw your question (without answers). I didn't answer
before in fear of offending anyone or being considered anti-pyro, but since
you seem to be seeking answer and got nothing, I will try to say my opinion.

> What benefit is there in duping a
> low contrast interpositive onto sheet film developed in pyro? Is this
> not the equivalent of shooting a low contrast scene and developing in
> pyro and therefore missing out on its true attribute, namely holding
> highlight detail in a high contrast scene?

If you control the contrast of the interpositive so that it fits into the
exposure range of the film used for the negative, then I don't think there is
real advantage of using pyro of the negative if it is used for Pt only. If
you intend to use it for Pt and silver, then there is advantage as described
in Carl Weese's recent article in Photo Technique. We discussed about this on
the list too, about a year ago, I think.

But that is if your negative can give enough Dmax for your Pt print. Someone
once used some negative that cannot reach the required Dmax, but he used pyro
and its yellow-green density to act as extra density to the UV radiation. I
think that is a smart use of the developer. This info should be in the
archive as well.

> What opinions/experiences do people have relating to the use of HC-110
> vs. pyro (or other developers) for the second step in negative
> enlargement?

The above is my opinion but not experiences with pyro so I could be totally
wrong of course.

Dave Soemarko

Check out the Soemarko's Direct Carbon process at
http://hometown.aol.com/fotodave/SDC/SdcIndex.html