Re: No messages? test

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Fri, 01 Oct 1999 20:10:22 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 2 Oct 1999, Lukas Werth wrote:

> Hello all,
> this is a test, because I don not receive any messages.
> Lukas

Actually, Lukas, the listservs are having one of those tax-deductible
junkets -- they've all gone to Costa Rica. I mean last I checked in about
2 days ago, there was nothing on the Hist. Photog list either. On top of
which, the entire ESP empire providing that subscription is now, if you
could believe, "down".... (So if anyone reading this message is flaming me
on Photo History -- fuggedaboudit!) Which is to say, I actually got to an
art gallery today. Saw the John Pfahl show at Janet Borden Gallery... 560
Broadway, NYC.

Whoever is going to be around town before Oct. 23 should visit. An
exquisite reminder of why we do "alt." Every photograph in the show
(titled "Piles," perfectly photographed piles of debris, sand, rubber
tires, trash, coal, etc.) is exquisitely seen -- and completely lifeless.
Dead. Mechanical. The "picture" buried by the smooth perfection of its
factory-made materials.

In other words, to coin a phrase, the medium is *also* the message. Any
fool could tell they should have been gum prints. (I mean whoever can
learn to shoot color can SURELY learn to do gum.)

On the same floor at 560, I saw the Jim McNutt drawings at Nolan/Eckman.
Very wonderful, especially the ones in colored pencil in the backroom.

Judy

(direct from Rudyville)