RC negatives - stripping paper

Nick Makris (nick@mcn.org)
Sat, 02 Oct 1999 09:16:07 -0700

Hello again,

Not so long ago, I read a post from Peter Fredrick regarding the removal of the emulsion from the paper backing of RC prints. While I have successfully accomplished this at times previous, he went one step further by suggesting the use of Sodium Hydroxide at 50% to further clear the paper.

Not being very chemically minded, I have a question(s) regarding the strength/safety aspects of the material I have on hand. I found a plastic pint bottle of liquid Sod Hyd in a cupboard in my darkroom - has always been in the dark. It is heretofore unopened and was manufactured in 1980. The strength is declared at 5.000 Normal.

If you would be so kind, I would like to know, 1) if this is the same stuff that was recommended and is the shelf life ok? 2) use it at what dilution? 3) besides gloves, what other safety precautions should I take??? This the only chemical that I have that talks about severe burns on the label, however, it says nothing about ventilation. I will appreciate your comments.

Many thanks,

Nick