Re: Digital Neg-Dan Durkholder

Mary Pat McNally (mcnally@psfc.mit.edu)
Tue, 05 Oct 1999 08:27:46 -0400

>Hi all,
>
>I'm just about ready to print out my first inkjet digital negatives. I am
>using Dan Burkholder book Making Digital Negatives, the second edition. I
>have been following his instructions to the letter, but before I printed my
>first neg using Epson Photo Quality Glossy Film, I printed it out on a plain
>piece of paper and all I got was a print out that was completely black. On
>the monitor the file looked flat but it is what I expected from reading the
>book. Is there any one who has done this before and if so should I expect my
>neg on film to be totally black or should I see some details in my neg? Also
>if any one has any other stories or suggestions on the subject of inkjet
>negatives could you please share them.
>
>thanks
>
>James

Are you making negatives for platinum printing? I would go back and
carefully check all of your steps. I have making digital negatives for
cyanotype using Dan's book and I haven't had that problem. What model of
Epson are you using? Did you apply a curve to the image after you adjusted
it in Photoshop? Mary Pat McNally