Pyro article in PT

Carl Weese (cjweese@wtco.net)
Tue, 12 Oct 1999 12:31:22 -0400

Dear List,

I realize that some folks dont ever want to read another word about
pyro developers, but for those who do, youll be able to find about six
thousand words on the subject in the upcoming Nov/Dec issue of _PHOTO
Techniques Magazine_ in my article Pyro Development for Dual Purpose
Negatives. As the title suggests, the article concentrates on the use
of pyro developers to craft large format negatives that yield beautiful
exhibition prints on hand coated Pt/Pd paper *and* on commercial
variable contrast silver paper. The article is based on almost two years
of testing and field work and contains everything Ive learned about the
subject since researching and writing the pyro chapter in TNPP more than
a year ago. There are detailed discussions of Gordon Hutchings PMK Pyro
and of Harald Lebans ABC+ Pyro (also called Rollo). There are tons of
tips n tricks with new step by step processing directions for both
trays and rotary equipment, and my latest impressions and evaluations of
currently available films and papers.

The magazine is publishing a small portfolio of my recent work, tied in
to the technical article: we selected pictures that are very
pyro--that is, photographs where the decision to use a pyro developer
fostered a specific pictorial goal. Im keeping my fingers crossed that
some of it will come through in reproduction.

Were also doing a Special Readers Print Offer with two of my
photographs available for a limited time in either platinum or silver
(or the set) at Insanely Low Prices. But you can read about it in the
magazine. The issue should hit newsstands and mailboxes in the next week
or so.

Finally, I have a question for list members--has anyone experimented
with pyro negatives for printing in _other_ alternate processes like
cyano, van dyke, gum, kallitype, etc, etc.? Id be interested in any
experiences you can share.

---Carl