Photoshop workshop and digital images

Nick Makris (nick@mcn.org)
Wed, 20 Oct 1999 11:20:43 -0700

Hello again,

This is a resend of a message sent earlier that was sent as HTML - my
apologies, it happened via some very convoluted circumstances. Hopefully
you receiving this one as text.

As you may recall, in one of my previous posts on digital negs, I provided a
reference to Carl Volk's web site regarding the optimum image resolution for
Epson inkjet printers. One of Carl's offerings on his site is a two day
(weekend) workshop. This 1 on 3 personalized training seemed to much to
pass up, especially when you consider that Carl has been a PhotoShop beta
tester/user since before Adobe released the initial version.

I took the workshop this weekend (Las Vegas) and was extremely pleased with
the results. Carl works on a Mac and does a very nice job of comparing the
commands to those of the PC version - I use the PC. If you have a need to
scan photos and then to retouch/manipulate them for output to any medium,
you will benefit by taking this workshop.

Carl is also a production manager for a company called Colour Concepts
(colourconcepts.com) which uses the Lightjet 5000 system for outputing
digital images to various kinds of photographic media in sizes measured in
feet - how about 4X8 feet. The examples I saw of this process are
indistinguishable from optically produced continuous tone (traditional)
images. The output media determines the cost, $12-20 sqft. - $20 being the
cost of clear film for digital negs. Carl says that what you can produce on
an inkjet (ie, fulfilling your process's requirements) can be duplicated on
the Lightjet at 4000-6000 lpi and he will work with you to make that happen.

Contact Carl via carlvolk@intermind.net and check out his web site;
http://photoshoptips.i-us.com

Nick