Re: grooves on tubes RE: jobo help

Richard Knoppow (dickburk@ix.netcom.com)
Fri, 22 Oct 1999 14:28:53 -0700

At 08:58 AM 10/22/1999 -0600, you wrote:
>On Fri, 22 Oct 1999, Dan Koons wrote:
>
>> For someone who hasnt tried the ABS tubes you might try a method which
>> involves
>> developing your film to completion without worry about removing the anti
>> halation layer until after fixation. I started using the used PMK developer
>> per Gordon Hutchings instructions as a staining bath. the components in the
>> developer will remove it. You do not have to use pyro, d76 or xtol will
>> work. The catch is placing the film in a tray with the developer before the
>> final wash. This might avoid the steps is adding groves to the pipe. just a
>> thought:)dan
>
>Yes, I was thinking about this very thing while driving to work this
>morning. The real issue is how to ensure that the antihalation backing on
>the film is removed. I was wondering if perhaps a pre-wash bath could be
>formulated to remove the antihalation coating? If so, it really shouldn't
>matter if you developed in tubes with grooves, bumps, or whatever.
>
>Perhaps the developer bath is all that is needed?
>
>- Wayde
> (wallen@boulder.nist.gov)

  Actually the backing is not removed, only decolorized. In think the only
backing which is physically removed is the Rem-Jet baking on some Kodak
motion picture color films and on Kodachrome. You can experiment with a
scrap of film. You will find that either developer or fixer will decolorize
the anti-halation layer but that nothing is removed from the film.
  In some cases a plain water soak will decolorize it.
  Some color films have an anti-halation layer under the emulsion.
----
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles,Ca.
dickburk@ix.netcom.com