film recorder/continuous-tone output quality query

Doug Niven (nimoys@loxinfo.co.th)
Sat, 23 Oct 1999 13:04:06 +0700

Hello,

Am new to this newsgroup so I suspect I may be slightly off-topic if last
week's postings are any indication but in case this is not the case, my
questions are as follows:

I'm producing a book of Vietnam war photography and due to working
conditions in Vietnam was only able to scan much of the 35mm material
(all B/W), as no darkroom was available and negatives could not be
removed from the premises. So I've been scanning original film with a
Nikon LS-2000 at maximum 2700 dpi and in 36 bit mode. All the scans have
been saved in both RGB and grayscale for posterity purposes. I know how
to make good scans so the problem is not there.

I'm hoping to make very high quality prints either from a continuous-tone
printer or to a film recorder, but I have no experience with either of
these processes up to now.

Fortunately I live in Asia where both of these processes are inexpensive
and available.

So my question is: what can I expect from the output? Can I expect
quality good enough for a high-quality publication (our last book
"Killing Fields" was printed using the gravure method in Japan but I
don't think this will be the case for this latest project) or even better
yet: can I achieve exhibition-quality prints from these negs produced by
a film recorder?

Which continuous-tone printer is the best for making B/W prints?

I was hoping for advice before I pour massive amounts of my time into
fixing all these scans up in Photoshop, etc.

Of course drum scanning would have been ideal but it was not a practical
solution in our situation.

Alternatively, is there somewhere else I can find this information? A
past posting?

Any help would be most appreciated.

Sincerely,

Doug Niven