Re: grooves on tubes RE: jobo help

FotoDave@aol.com
Sun, 24 Oct 1999 17:40:58 -0400 (EDT)

In a message dated 10/24/99 7:29:41 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
dbaird@flint.umich.edu writes:

> Dave, with all the talk about water quality, especially in Michigan (Phil
> Davis lives in White Lake which is between us),

Hi Daryl,

I have always thought Phil lived in Ann Arbor, and I thought so probably
because he taught at Univ. of Michigan (and his book "Beyond the Zone System"
has some pictures from Ann Arbor). Or did he move to White Lake after he
retires?

Quite a few photographers in Michigan.... Howard Bond is in Ann Arbor, isn't
he? Bob Mitchell is in St. Joseph. Monte Nagler lives in Farmington where I
lived up to last summer (btw, did you receive a pamphlet for Dearborn Juried
Photography Exhibition? Monte Nagler will be the juror).

Well, I digressed.... back to the topic....

> did you use tap or distilled water for the soak?

I use tap water. Maybe I didn't describe it well in my earlier post, but if I
wet load the drum, or if I presoak the film in tap water, then the stain
clears. The problem was when I loaded a dry film onto a dry drum without the
ribs, then sometimes (well, most of the times) there were some ugly stains on
the back of the film, and I found these stains hard to be cleared with the
soak in developer, hypo clear, or fixer (as recommended by Jobo).

But it never really bothered me since I found that wet load and the print
drums with ribs worked. I now basically use the print drums. I mentioned the
problem just because the topic was on tubes and grooves, etc.

I remember that you won't have the alt. photo class until next year. What
class(es) are you teaching now?

Dave S