Re: Densitometers

FotoDave@aol.com
Wed, 27 Oct 1999 22:23:32 -0400 (EDT)

I am sure we have seen a lot of photographs made with and without the use of
densitometers, so I can't say it is an absolute requirement for making good
negatives, but I do think it is a very useful and helpful tool.

To me, a densitometer is not only a tool to help making good negatives, but
it also allows one to study some details on gradation, for example, comparing
Tri-X film with TMax film, comparing a film developed in D-76 or TMax
developer, measuring the curve of your carbon of Pt/Pd prints (with a
reflection densitometer), etc.

So my opinion is while it is not absolutely necessary to use one, computers
have enabled us to check used equipments and/or auctions so easily, so even
if you are not buying one right away, you can keep your eyes open and maybe
buy one some day. The used one is not that expensive at all.

The original poster asked about Mantis densitometer. I can't remember when
and where I saw the ad (was it in Photo Techniques a while ago?) My concern
is that I seem to remember it as a b/w transmission densitometer (if it is
not, then ignore what I am going to say next).

The thing is, if you are using or might use pyro developer, or you are using
lith film developed to continous-tone (with the underdevelopment giving brown
tones), you need to measure the blue density. Using a blue filter with a b/w
densitometer does not give you true blue densities although I am not sure if
you can somehow still approximate densities with these pseudo-blue densities.
There might have been some discussion on this in the archive.

Ideally, you want a color densitometer that measures transmission and
reflection densities. Some cheaper densitometer only measures b/w
transmission only (the mechanical part is easier since you only need to
supply a constant light source and measure how much light passes through the
film). If budget is a concern, I think it is still better to buy a used color
transmission/reflection densitometer.

Dave S