Re: Outlook Express users Virus Warning

From: Editor - P.O.V. Image Service (editor@p-o-v-image.com)
Date: 04/02/00-10:03:57 AM Z

Jonathan Bailey wrote:

> I use the regular "full" version of OUTLOOK - not the Express version - do
> you know if this make a difference? Would I have melted down by now????

It seems to affect only Outlook Express..

The info is on this page..

http://vil.mcafee.com/dispVirus.asp?virus_k=98500

Since we are talking viruses I thought I better send everyone this link too,
it's a new and very dangerous virus...

The FBI Advisory is posted at
http://www.nipc.gov/nipc/advis00-038.htm

Ok, as for Blatant plugs, I run McAfee Virus shield on my W9X systems... And
Norton Anti-Virus on the Win2k/NT boxes..

I worked for some years as a computer security consultant and these are the best
products for the PC Platform.. on the Mac I prefer Dr Solomon..

Both PC offerings will check e-mail as it comes in, if you turn the option on..

Since my e-mail came in on the Win2k box this time, Symantec's new version of
Norton Anti-Virus, found the worm on three different posts to the list over a
two day period. It tried to repair and then deleted each post...

There is a 30 day trial version of Norton Anti-Virus for the W9X and W2K
platforms at:

http://www.symantecstore.com/Pages/TBYB/index.html#Norton_Antivirus_2000_6.0

McAfee's Virus Shield is now part of

McAffee Clinic..

A 14 day free trial is at:

http://www.mcafee.com/centers/clinic/

I would also note, that the parent firm of McAffee, Network Associates, are one
of the industry's most regarded pc-level computer security and anti-virus
knowledge founts..

Lastly, for anyone who wants to always get the latest on virus info...

If you register the trial versions of either McAfee's or Symantec's products,
they will give you an option for e-mail notices.. You do not need to buy the
software, only to register the trial version...

BUT, I get the most up-to-date info on this stuff. Including notice, of the
FBI release (which I have not yet received notice of from Symantec or McAffee)
from SANS..

They are a non-for-profit Virus and Security institute...

Their e-mail notice subscription page is at:

http://www.sans.org/sansnews

> Further, if memory serves, I deleted unopened the "IR thread" messages (hey,
> I can't read 'em all, sorry...)

Good move!

If you didn't open them, the script cannot execute...

Keith

--
{       The views expressed in the preceding are those of the        }
{       author, alone, and  are neither the responsibility of,        }