RE: Outlook Express users Virus Warning

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 04/03/00-12:48:43 PM Z

On Mon, 3 Apr 2000, Thor Bols wrote:

> ...I wish I could AFFORD to live in
> Greenwich village and have a MAC! But I can't, so I make do with a PC.

Actually, a lot of "poor" people live in Greenwich Village -- they have a
windfall known as rent controlled apartments, or at least they come in
rags to hearings on the subject -- tho that's a bit offtopic. However, if
you figure in all the money saved by not having to have a car or
three....and pay for gas, auto insurance, and keep up with the Joneses,
and drive 5 miles for a quart of milk, chauffeur your kids to afterschool
everything, etc., you could buy a townhouse, or a politician or three.

> Sure, Mac owners don't get too many viri. Know why? Well, for one thing,
> the virus creators aren't targetting the Macs because: 1. they're a bunch of
> kids that can't AFFORD a Mac, and 2. They don't WANT a MAC, preferring the
> FAR GREATER selection of software and the FAR GREATER selection of hardware
> options that the PC owners enjoy.

Actually & seriously, it seems to me if they didn't feel the need to stack
the cupboard with endless "software" (games?) much of which is
duplicative, they'd have lots of money left over... And, except for
scanners, which admittedly are the pits, I've never been aware of any
"hardware" I couldn't get. But of course I'm more into end result than
hardware. I mean my idea of nice hardware is a nail to hang the masking
tape on.

> So enjoy the safety of the Mac, and realize that that "safety" is a function
> of the still releatively small number of Mac users, making virus creation a
> less than efficient proposition.

So shhhhhhhh ! Maybe the less said the better... But thinking back to
1986, when I got 1st Mac, I don't think the numbers were so lopsided. But
maybe there weren't so many viri then either?

best,

Judy