Re: liquid light on eggs

From: Campos & Davis Photos (photos@campos-davis.co.uk)
Date: 04/11/00-06:47:31 AM Z

I would be very interested to see that. Could you publish the results
on the web please?
Having tested all the products available in UK I can say that the
variable contrast emulsions performed quite well up to about grade
three, but showed no perceptible increase in contrast beyond that.
There are a number of variable contrast papers on the market in UK
which are not fully variable contrast in the way one would expect.
That is, a discrete increase in contrast in equal proportion when
using a standard set of Ilford filters multigrade filters. Other
filters must be used to achieve a result approaching that of Ilford
multigrade paper and this necessitates increased exposure times. The
results showed that a difference in contrast could not be achieved
between grade 4 and grade 5 using Ilford Multigrade filters, whereas
the difference when using Ilford Multigrade paper between grade 4 and
grade 5 is considerable.
Some liquid emulsions are bottled from the same source as that used to
coat papers. The exact formula for variable contrast emulsion is very
complicated and a closely guarded secret and has not been learnt by
all manufacturers.

Campos & Davis Photos
6 Cranbourne Road
London N10 2BT - UK