Re: colour neg scan

From: Gregory Parkinson (glp@panix.com)
Date: 04/11/00-04:01:35 PM Z

At 5:02 PM -0400 4/11/00, Mats Broberg wrote:

[...]

>The best results I have obtained when working with colour negs is to
>have a really really good darkroom person with perfect colour vision
>make large format colour prints of the negs and then scan the colour
>prints on a drum scanner.

I've been reading a lot on scanning and one number I've come across
is that color prints don't give you any better than 200dpi - so scanning
at a higher resolution is pointless. I supposed if your prints were
large enough you'd get additional dots in the final scan.

>Scanning the negs is tricky, since it is quite
>difficult to get good colours when you reverse the image. The people on
>the images usually look as if they have just crossed Styx!

I've had no problems in making the colors right from color negs
using photoshop. Your standards may be higher than mine, though.