Re: Old glass negatives

From: Joseph Arkins (arkins@banet.net)
Date: 04/18/00-06:05:31 AM Z

Janet, when I cleaned a number of glass negatives at a photo museum years ago, I
did so by cleaning the glass (shiny) side only with Kodak lens cleaner and a
one-edged razor blade, where necessary. You have to examine each negative to
make sure there's no retouching medium and pencilling on the glass side, as
this is a part of the original artifact. Don't use anything wet on the gelatin
(emulsion) side.

Joe Arkins
NY, NY