RE: Black and White photo toning

BillNoll@aol.com
Date: 04/19/00-11:52:35 AM Z

In a message dated 4/19/00 3:46:19 PM, quryhous@midcoast.com writes:

<<RE: Tom Baril's tea-toned images - I am told Tetley tea works best, and that

it is also the tea of choice for Sally Mann's new work as well....>>

But is it acid free? Just kidding. I did experiment with coffee toning
yesterday with a 50% dilution (half regular strength prepared coffee and half
water) on Illford Fibre Warmtone. If anyone has doubts (or denial) that
drinking coffee stains their teeth, rest assured - it does. This is far too
great for a working solution, as the paper is fully toned (stained?) in a
second or two. It IS the effect I was searching for as it primarily works
with the highlights and upper midtones only, and I'll experiment with other
dilution's.

At the risk of starting a thread which debates unrelated topics such as
coffee, wine, teeth, tea, etc., I'll check the archive for information;
thanks for the suggestion.

I also had a few off-list requests for information on the pure-silver list
which I briefly mentioned. As the name suggests, it's dedicated to
conventional darkroom silver printing:

http://www.tundraware.com/pure-silver/

Bill Noll