Re: buying a 4 x 5 camera

From: Steve Shapiro (sgshiya@redshift.com)
Date: 04/23/00-09:50:58 PM Z

The Toyo is a great camera. Take advantage, because you can always use that
a a trade up tool.

Most important features with a LF camera are movements. The Sinar Braun is
one ofthe MOST popular studio cameras because of all the features and add
ons. They even offer a Through The Lens Light Meter.

When you're at that $2,000 a day level you can pick and choose, but the
first question iswhat you can use.

You need to make a portfoloio: REAL QUICK. Then, you can think about
something less than the cost.

If you don't know how to use a camera or can't work the moements from behind
a dark cloth, it's not for you.

We have a Burke & James 8X10 where I work, and it's a show piece more than a
functioning camera and I see why. There must be movements that are easy to
work and understand.

Before you get carried away with the internet, go to as many camera stores
as you can and work what they have to see the things out there.

rec.photo.equipment.large-format is a great place to learn what's what, but
you have to know the stuff they're talking about.

I lecture on lenses, after reading posts on that news group by Richard
Knoppow for a year, bought the books he uses and started my own study. Now,
four years later, I really know what's what with lenses.

A friend of mine shares a studio with a newly granduated student who spent
the day telling me about 'the new soft focus-to-direct-your-eye product
photography' of his generation.

He uses Schneider lenses, and I sat there listening for about four hours;
finally showed him Steichen's work, same idea; at that time photographers
used portrait lenses for product work. Stigmatic lenses like verito and
velostigmatics can be great start up lenses for the Toyo.

The clear lenses at 152mm (6+ inch) to 250mm (10 inch) mostly depend on the
bellows extention and WHAT YOU'RE GOING TO USE IT FOR.

Good luck.

Steve Shapiro
sgshiya@redshift.com