Re: Self-toning Gelatin P.O.P.

From: Liam Lawless (lawless@ic24.net)
Date: 04/24/00-12:51:09 PM Z

Sil,

A note from Southworth & Bentley:

LEAD ACETATE (Plumbic acetate, sugar of lead), Pb(CH3COO)2.3H2O = 379
Coarse efflorescent crystals with faint odour of acetic acid. Highly
poisonous (antidotes: white of egg, magnesia or sodium sulphate). Dissolves
in water, generally giving a cloudy solution. This cloudiness may be
removed, except with permanently-hard water, by the addition of a few drops
of acetic acid. Must not be treated with hot water. Stable both as solid
and in solution. Has a limited application in combined toning and fixing
baths for gelatino-chloride papers, the toning action being produced by the
formation of lead sulphide. For this purpose the well-crystallized, pure
white product, completely soluble in distilled water, is needed; may be kept
in ordinary corked bottles.

Liam