Re: UV lights for gum

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 04/25/00-02:14:18 PM Z

On Tue, 25 Apr 2000 Smieglitz@aol.com wrote:
> This is the first test of a quartz halogen FEL lamp vs. UV flurescents
> that I ran a few months ago. The gum emulsion appears fogged, not
> overexposed, or longer scale, etc. It is just plain fogged. This is
> only a preliminary test, but it sure surprised me. Obviously much
> more testing is needed but the results here would indicate that the UV
> tubes are not an ideal source for gum printing. Halogen lamps appear
> to print cleaner, with better separation and contrast with respect to
> the gum emulsion. I'll be testing more now that the current school
> semester is ending.

Joe, re why your gums fog in the fluorescents, two questions come to mind:

What is your paper contact: Is it possible contact is less on the UV
table so light could creep under?

Do your UV bulbs have some kind of *reflector* system under or around
them?

How long are those exposures?

How do you define fogging (sorry I can't make it to URL just now).
Actually, I've never seen *fogging* in gum prints, that is, *veiling* on
the top steps of the 21-step -- tho some combos (usually involving the
size) don't CLEAR, or only with much mottling.

You may think a person who can't count to two isn't for real about
fogging, but I figure an extra question or so is all to the good in this
fascinating discussion. I'd hate for you to think I cast aspersions on
your fluorescent lights -- but I have taught HUNDREDS of space cadet
undergraduates gum printing under BL fluorescents and seen all kinds of
mis-and-malfeasance, but NEVER fogging from the UV lights. (Tho fogging
from drying by hairdryer until I caught them and made them read the
worksheet.)

But another question occurs -- how long are your soaks? And another -- as
I recall you use rabbitskin glue. Maybe that size doesn't like
fluorescent? Have you tried the tests on virgin paper?

PS. I have found time between exposures under half an hour not a
significant variable except in very hot humid weather -- but that may mean
you're using a negative of a photograph not a 21-step for the tests. In
which case the fogging could be because the neg is too thin. Not to
mention that those "tests" would refer only to a particular kind and range
of negative, with little objective meaning for users at large.

best,

Judy