building a light source, idea

From: Jonathan Long (fotonerd@yahoo.com)
Date: 04/25/00-10:06:12 PM Z

As I sit here thinking of a light source to print with
and all the troubles/inconsistency people have from
different sources, I thought of an idea.

What if you built a box with three different types of
bulbs.

1. UV lights (traditional Florescent bulbs)
2. Black Light bulbs
3. A specialty bulb with no coating (if I understand
right it is a Florescent bulb that is clear. very
damaging to eyes. Use with caution)

maybe use 2 of each bulb. Expense being the biggest
issue for most of us. Especially since the specialty
bulb I think runs for about $70. And then you need a
ballast.

My second idea is to have the bulbs raised off the
print a little. Say about 2 feet and have it in a box
that has black sides to keep the source a little more
specular.

My wife just brought up an issue to worry about. Each
bulb would possibly age at different speeds.

So???? Am I crazy here? Has it been done before?

Jonathan Long
jon@jonlong.com