Dichromate hazards

From: Alan Elliott (alanell@netlink.com.au)
Date: 04/28/00-11:25:52 AM Z

Dear List,

I have deleted the previous posts so please bear wtih me if the potential
problem of exposure to dichromates has already been covered.

In addition to the poisoning if ingested and the problems of disposal, the
most insidous potential hazard with dichromates is that repeated contact
may cause dermatitis. This is a serious risk which, if contracted, will
cause skin irritation and possible ulceration and put an end to your gum
bichromate work for ever! Such allergy rarely is cured and the slightest
exposure to dichromate will cause a recurrence of the attack. Of particular
importance is that the dust should not be inhaled. Repeated inhalation of
the dust may give rise to perforation of the nasal septum and respiratory
problems.

So--- Wear impervious gloves (the disposable type from the supermarket are
fine) when handling dichromate in solution and, in addition when weighing
out the powder, wear a dust mask. Preferably avoid handling the powder in
enclosed space. If you cannot find a suitable place outdoors you may be
able to ask a chemist who has access to a fume hood to weigh out and
dissolve the powder for you. Do not allow spills to dry and thus release
dust into the air of your workplace. If you do happen to come in contact
with chromium compounds wash immediately.

If you imagine that the above is exaggerated, believe me it is only too
true. I know of at least one gum bichromate enthusiast who has taken no
prcautions and has had no problem - as yet. Therein lies the trap. Users
are led into a false sense of security. From experience as a consulting
chemist I can site cases where workmen have contracted contact dermatitis
from the chromium compounds in cement, from handling galvanised iron sheet
passivated with dichromate, from wearing chromium tanned leather gloves and
from handling bags of dichromates in intustry. It is the repeated contct
which causes the problem. Please take care!

Alan Elliott