Re: You GUYS are Better Than Any Search Engin !

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: Sat Jan 08 2000 - 17:47:58 /etc/localtime

On Sat, 8 Jan 2000, Farah Mahbub wrote:

> Dear Friends ,
> Thank you for all the info on Zone V . I think
> the best thing for me would be to just use & try the spoon formula
> conversions mentioned in the Darkroom Cookbook . The whole idea of trying
> these on regularly used formulas is so tempting that i just wanted to find
> something a bit more detailed . Have tried this particular method on some
> common formulas D-76 & D-163 and it worked fine .If only i could get my
> hands on these written materials the article from Camera and Darkroom
> mentioned ...........hmmmmmm

Farah, the dry measurements are very easily made if you can even borrow
the use of a good gram scale for an afternoon. The reason I stress this is
that in my experience OTHER people's measurements are, let's say, not
ideal. For instance their powder may be harder packed than yours, or
fluffier, or different in some other character. Certainly their drops are
not guaranteed to be the same size as yours -- and who says their idea of
a "level teaspoon" is all that similar. Maybe you flatten it harder, or
vice versa.

The reason it's pretty much OK is that these measurements are not
critical, really, hardly ever ... but still, it's probably LESS trouble to
go through once for yourself than to ferret out the original material...
and even if you find it there will still be questions about correlation &
correspondence...

My own sense of the situation is that for small amounts, for a process
done by eye (like toning cyanotype), it's rarely a problem to "measure"
the chemicals by eye. But for things done in the dark the easiest in the
long run is to mix a LOT at one time and weigh. A good gram scale in this
country is about $100... but I use mine for everything (including postage,
because so-called postage scales are all over the map. Of course the
problem with that is that the US Post Office does NOT KNOW METRIC -- needs
more arithmetic !)

Best,

Judy