Re: Developing roll films

From: Rod Fleming (rodfleming@sol.co.uk)
Date: 06/06/00-01:51:00 AM Z

It depends whether you're using a hardening or a non-hardening fixer. If you
do use a hardening fixer, then you need to wash at least 1/2 hour, pref 1
hour, or use HCA per instructions.

With roll film there is no real need to use a hardener, so use a non
hardening
fixer like Hypam or a straightforward acid hypo formula, and wash for 5 mins
in running water or by inversion. The Ilford recommended method for
inversion washing is one wash inverted 5 times, one inverted 10 times, and
two successive washes inverted 20 times. With inversion washing it is very
important not to fill the tank completely, only up to the top of the film,
as the sloshing of the water is a necessary part of the process.

The advantage of inversion washing is that it is easy to temper the wash
water, by making up a bucket at the right temp- the greater volume of water
required for washing in running water means you'll need a proper tempering
device, which is pricey (and will also mean higher water bills). It is
important to use tempered water, especially with miniature negatives, as
washing in cold water can aggravate grain clumping.

Rod