Re: two questions on 4x5 film and holders

From: Jeffrey D. Mathias (jeffrey.d.mathias@worldnet.att.net)
Date: 06/08/00-11:37:42 AM Z

Richard Knoppow wrote:
> ... T-Max and Tri-X or Plus-X sheet films are very different. ...
> There is no one "best" film. ... You pretty much have to try
> them on a variety of subjects to see what the actual differences are in
> reproducing a given subject.

And a bunch is mentioned about curves. However one must be careful that
manufacturers test their film for certain developers at certain
strengths and with the intent to print on certain material. For
example: for Pt/Pd I use HC-110 at much higher concentrations than
dilution B for Tri-x and the film curve is different. Pt/Pd "looks" at
more of the curve than g. silver and more realistically uses the dense
potions for highlights. The response of a Pt/Pd coating is much
different than that of a g. silver emulsion as so to are other
processes. This means that a given printing process will produce its
own results from a film developer combination making it likely that one
may prefer a different film or developer or both for a given printing
process.

Bottom line: it can be wise to not depend on manufacturer's data and do
one's own testing.

--
Jeffrey D. Mathias
http://home.att.net/~jeffrey.d.mathias/