Digital vs Analog - Corollary Questions

From: Nick Makris (nick@mcn.org)
Date: 06/10/00-04:43:17 PM Z

Hello again,

Everyone tinkering with digital negs has run up against the screen image
degradation that occurs when you apply one of the many Platinum curves that
are available from a number of sources (Dave Fokos and Dan Burkholder come
to mind and on Dan's CD there are several others). And since it works you
can't argue with it, but, it does make one wonder why the curve does work.

However, when I first began this venture (even before I decided to go the
digital route) I encountered various forms of the statement, "your negative
for PT/PD must have more contrast than that prepared for a conventional RC
print", from a variety of sources. This is constantly being reinforced on
posts to this list.

Which brings to mind two questions.

I have never prepared an Analog negative for use with PT/PD and therefore
wonder how one would go about creating the equivalent of the digital
negative with a PT/PD curve applied???

Also, how does this flat looking digital negative relate to the required
"higher contrast requirement"???

I know I'm missing something here - obviously part of my learning curve(s)!!

Nick