Re: Potassium Chlorate Diluted

From: Jeffrey D. Mathias (jeffrey.d.mathias@worldnet.att.net)
Date: 06/15/00-09:35:34 AM Z

Nick Makris wrote:
> ... After
> reviewing 33 posts (with refs to Chlorate) in my personal archive, I found
> only one ref. that suggests the Pot. Chlor. won't keep on the shelf for very
> long. Would someone like to quantify that???

Have not done a logevity test, but have never had problems with the
solutions.

I have had Potassium Chlorate solutions for two years which retained all
of their oomph. Keep in small, full, tightly sealed bottles and stored
in a cool place (small dropper bottles work fine). As with any
oxidizing agent, check the rubber stoppers and replace when any sign of
wear is detected. It is best not to get the liquid into the stopper as
when shaking. Oxidizing agents should also be stored separate from all
other chemicals.

An alternative is Potassium Dichromate which will also last and provides
excellent texture for bricks or rock. Be aware that the dichromates can
accumulate in the developer and eventually cause that developer to
increase contrast.

Ammonium Dichromate will also last.

Dilute Hydrogen Peroxide will loose its ability rather fast and should
be mixed as needed from a stronger solution. Even the 3% solutions from
the drug store should be suspect as to being accurate. Stronger
solutions release a lot of oxygen and must be stored properly.

--
Jeffrey D. Mathias
http://home.att.net/~jeffrey.d.mathias/