Burkholder's Book CD Gravure curve

From: Gregory Parkinson (glp@panix.com)
Date: 06/21/00-03:45:37 PM Z

I was stepping through Dan Burkholder's book _Making Digital Negatives
for Contact Printing_ (a must for anyone who is using Photoshop for alt
processes) and I came to the point where I needed to apply the curve
for the type of printing I was doing (page 68 at the bottom, in the
spiral-bound
edition.) Not mentioned anywhere that I can find is a Gravure curve -
in the Other Curves folder on the CD - that reduces the white to 20%
and the black to 96%.

Gravure is what I'm doing, but I'd like to know *why*. Any feedback
would be appreciated.