Re: Salted Paper and THE VARIABLES

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 06/23/00-11:01:30 AM Z

With all due respect to Andre (and I'm so delighted when anyone agrees
with me about anything that I feel positively churlish to disagree!), has
it occurred to you, the list, anybody, that expecting a great print on
your very first try is ---- optimistic? (Tho I have been given to
understand that salted paper takes a neg of practically 3.0.)

As for the questions now asked re selenium toning color, dilution,
effect, and so forth -- permit me to mention Post-Factory and an article
Liam is writing for it about make-your-own-POP emulsion, which he is too
(pathologically ) modest to mention: It came in at something like 30,000
words, and is, I regret to say being pared to a mere 7000 or so, at least
for part I (to allow room for the address label, etc.), but the content to
a FASCINATING degree is how the VARIABLES of paper, balance, ratio,
temperature, dilution, humidity, timing, source of gelatin and godwat what
else, all laid out and charted meticulously and explicitly by our hero,
affect every other factor, INCLUDING and especially color (or as he
insists, some things you just have to accept, "colour").

Nor do I think this is apples and oranges... in any event, having just
read through this stunning opus (tho, Liam, not all of us eat molecular
weights for breakfast), coming upon the flat question "what dilution of
selenium," or even "does it work," strike me as not usefully or anyway
definitively answered without, well, maybe 4000 words.

best,

Judy