Re: peeling off emulsion

From: Nick Makris (nick@mcn.org)
Date: 06/27/00-07:33:05 AM Z

There are actually several methods of removing an RC print from the paper
backing. The sodium hydroxide soak was not very useful.

But the process that I successfully copied from the lab I used in San Fran.
involved a 1/2" metal conduit just longer (enough for your fingers on each
side) than the short side of the print in question. With a razor blade,
separate one corner and carefully extend that separation along the short
side of the print to the opposite corner. When you have about 1/2" of the
print separated, place the print on a smooth surface, image side down and
tape the image portion to that surface. Then place the conduit (sanding it
smooth won't hurt) next to the 1/2" of separated paper backing and securely
tape the paper to the conduit. At this point it is a matter of rolling the
conduit causing the separation to continue to the other end.

A variation on this is to use 2 conduits and to roll the image side on to
the second conduit as you go along. While this method is better because it
keeps the angle of the pull at nearly 180 degrees, it is a tiny bit more
involved. You must drill two holes through each end of the second conduit
so that you can turn it as you progress - as you turn it, the holes are then
used to peg the conduit on each end to the working surface. Two standard 8
penny nails will work just fine.

Use an old print of the same kind of paper for testing before committing a
good print. This method is used for mounting images on canvas or other
kinds of material. It takes a press with a fair amount of pressure to mount
on canvas and to bring out the canvas texture.

Good luck,

Nick