Re: color of VanDyke

From: Gwen Walstrand (gwalstra@lib.drury.edu)
Date: 06/27/00-03:37:28 AM Z

you know my recent experiments with the process. I posted a question a few
weeks ago about whether or not sunlight exposure renders a different color
than artificial UV light sources. I got several responses that confirmed
this and a few that thought otherwise. Since then I've made many tests in
different situations and found the following:

My initial results with sun exposure gave me a much redder/warmer brown
than I wanted. But because my whole darkroom and processing facilities
moved to my house, I wasn't able to isolate all the variables for a while.
What I discovered was that the HUMIDITY and HEAT were causing the prints to
be be reddish and splotchy, not the short exposure to sunlight.

I've moved my equipment again (!) to a lovely, 71 degree airconditioned
darkroom with about 50% humidity. Coating, drying and processing are all
done under those conditions with a short jaunt out to the sunlight for
exposure. My results are now easily controlled and look exactly as they did
when previously using an artifical UV light.

I also found that a fixing bath that is too weak will not properly clear
the highlights of that yucky yellow stain or change the color to the rich
brown I wanted. My sodium thiosulfate suffered from the moisture as well
and just wouldn't make that dramatic change happen when it hit the tray. My
solution was to scrap the dry version of sod. thios. for common Kodak
Rapid fix mixed to film strength stock solution (without the hardener),
then diluted 1:16 for use. Freshness, contrast, warm white highlights....
success! I've also found that Stonehenge papers give the nice rich dark
brown or black/brown color that I like.

It's a wonderful process. If only the prints lasted longer...

Gwen Walstrand