RE: Gum vs. Kallitype

Hi Judy,

Well, knowing that this can be a sensitive issue with gum printers, let's
just say that I have been more impressed with the sharpness I have been able
to get with kallitype (or palladium or platinum), over straight gum
printing.  I discovered that if I printed, for instance the C, M, and Y with
gum, and then used a noble salt for the black, the final impression was one
of a far more detailed print.   I was printing gums over palladium, but due
to the cost, have tried to move over to kallitype.

Further:  I am a recent convert to color gum printing.  Thus, most of my
"source material" is in the form of medium and large format black and white
negatives.  I have had good luck in enlarging these negatives (both with
digital means and with the Lawless method) in order to produce large
palladium and kallitype prints.  But, after experiencing the subtle effects
of gum printing, I find these purely monochrome prints lacking.  I AM
impressed, though with the "duotone" effect I get when I print, for
instance, a cold kallitype over a sepia gum.  To get the same effect with
ONLY gum, I would have to print multiple layers of the "cold" color, which
is very hard to keep in register for large 16 x 20 and 20 x 24 prints.
Occasionally I will use a "soft" negative (soft as in slightly out of focus)
to print the lower contrast gum layer, and then pull it all together with a
very sharp, higher contrast kallitype layer.  If I could achieve this with
gum alone, I probably would!

Here's one for you:  I keep hearing about clearing out the "residual
dichromate stain".  I've never had the need for this.  Never.  Usually, the
dichromate is the first to dissolve out of the print - often in as little as
a couple of minutes.  Is this unusual?