Re: Dichromate Hazards - Thanks!

CCBaggett@aol.com
Date: 05/01/00-07:41:57 PM Z

In a message dated 5/1/00 4:03:00 PM Eastern Daylight Time, jseigel@panix.com
writes:

<<

 On Mon, 1 May 2000, Sarah Van Keuren wrote:
> Linda, I do sympathize with your concerns and actually advise people who
> live in rural situations like yours with a well and septic fields NOT to
> work in non-silver at home. For instance, a former student wanted to set up
> a non-silver darkroom in Martha's Vineyard and I strongly advised him
> against doing so in such a fragile environment.

 There are companies (the name Terragreen comes to mind) that provide
 systems and materials for managing effluent in septic tanks, or claim to.
 I forget particulars, but maybe someone else knows more. I'd listed them
 in first issue of P-F (linked from, as I recall Sprint Systems), later
 heard doubts expressed. But surely worth looking into. This is 2 years
 later. Maybe more better is out there now.

 Judy

 Judy and Sarah, and Linda,
    The Tannic Acid brought back my youth to mind. Where I grew up in
southeastern North Carolina the swamp water is black because of the tannic
acid from the Cyprus trees. ( Note: I'm not challenging anything said about
tannic acid.) I spent my summers working my way through college on a survey
crew up to my waist in that water. Our main concern, to the extent that
college boys had any in the late 50's, was with the Cottonmouth mocassins
and alligators. No,. I never got bitten though I have had my share of
encounters. I hope this lightens the discussion a bit. We must behave
responsibly with respect to the only environment we have, but we also must
maintain a sense of proportion. My observation, Linda, in my time on this
list is that this is a very responsible and conscientous group of citizens.
There has been continuous and in depth discussion of the proper handling and
disposal of chemicals in all of the Alt processes. Listen and learn. We are
very fortunate to have access to the learned advice we receive on this list.
We probably couldn't afford it if we had to pay for it. My 2 cents worth.
Cheers. Charlie