RE: Dichromate Hazards - Thanks!

From: Joachim (joachim@microdsi.net)
Date: 05/01/00-08:17:57 PM Z

Well said. As a physician who has probably saved more lives by getting
people to quit smoking than any antics in the ER, I am very please to see
you put risk in perspective and cool down anxiety. With carcinogens we are
not dealing with strictly linear effects ("one molecule") but thresholds
come into the picture. While we may never know the threshold for any
particular substance for any one particular individual, there are reasonable
safe ranges. I doubt if walking to work in New York City from the village
to midtown ever gave anybody a skin cancer, unless he also regularly sunned
himself for hours on end and gave himself some 2nd degree burns. It's good
to take precautions, it's good to wear seat belts...but, live a little, it's
safe. Joachim