Re: Dichromates, ferric oxalate, and the EPA

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 05/03/00-12:13:04 PM Z

On Wed, 3 May 2000, Linda Phillips wrote:

> Don't be ridiculous. I certainly don't need any defense from the likes of
> you.
>
> Judy has done more to advance the cause of alt process than anybody in
> recent years. She deserves much better than to be threatened by some cheap
> vigilante.

Blessings on you Linda, and my humble thanks. I also admire your command
of the language -- you're a good sport !

But I AM NOT !! So hear this everybody: If I get a visit from the EPA,
you're all in this with me. Get it? They're going to subpeona (well they
probably know how to spell it) my hard drive, with the alt-photo archive
and ALL YOUR NAMES AND ADDRESSES ! We'll shut down every alt photo class
on the eastern seaboard, western too probably. We'll make Linda Tripp and
Kenneth Starr look like amateurs. We'll get the files on Artcraft,
Photographer's Formulary, Daniel Smith, B&S, Tri Ess-- WHO BOUGHT
DICHROMATES ??? Who bought chrome green? Who bought silver nitrate? Who
bought .... glyoxal? I can see it now. (Bookstores will be asking, "Monica
who?")

Just two more things:

A propos of loosely grounded fears of "danger, my thought is that the
prime villain is the government with its sloppy sweeping worst-case
generalizations. For instance, from a thread we did a few years ago:
Ammonium dichromate is listed as fire hazard, and you have to pay
hazardous shipping charges to get it. I asked at the time had anyone seen
it spontaneously combust, exactly HOW combustible, I wondered. It is (or
was) used in school displays to simulate volcanoes (should you wish to do
this, as evidently amuses little kids, like dinosaurs & spit balls). But
other than that, it seems the only way anyone has gotten ammonium
dichromate to actually catch fire without a match or other flame was by
smashing it with metal in a frying pan.

Still, it's listed as a "combustible."

The other thing I'll add is simply a note of irony: I am known as an
absolute nut on care with dichromate (in fact *ALL* photo chemicals). I
positively HOUND my students to keep their hands out of the stuff, send
out a 3-country alarm when I get into the class and find spills, repeat
"this is a dry hands class" until they beg for mercy ... am actually
notorious for that to the point of feeling inhibited (almost). So my
problem here seems to be lack of a proper sense of humor (for which I fear
there IS no cure).

> Now, be a good troll and crawl back under your bridge.

Actually, Linda that was me with an assumed name. I guess it wasn't funny
either. Sorry. (And I guess I shouldn't have thrown that stuff down the
well... REALLY sorry for that one.)

best,

Judy