Re: enlarging vs. contact prints

From: David J. Romano (romano@agfa.com)
Date: 05/04/00-12:45:15 PM Z

Jarred,
If you mean enlarging negatives directly onto alt process media such as platinum,
yes. Basically, you need a UV enlarger. I have started working on this about 8
months ago. In December I made a couple of decent prints using an enlarger, but
they were small and took over an hour. After that, I completely redesigned it,
but I haven't done any work on it lately because I can't afford to build what I
have designed. I need about $3000 to make it work. I have worked out a light
source and optical system that I am very confident about. A conservative
prediction for printing times is about 14 minutes for a 16x20 print. I think I
can even incorporate some degree of print contrast control into it.

I posted a small survey to the forum a while back to see what the interest is in
a platinum enlarger and most of the replies were in favor of it, but what they
were willing to pay was than what it might cost to build one. One person even
seemed a little threatened by such a device.

Dave