Gum prints by enlargement

From: Ed Stander (glassact@compuserve.com)
Date: 05/05/00-05:12:00 AM Z

Dear all:
  I have a saltzman 8x10 enlarger with a 240 el-nikkor lens and a 1500
watt Olec graphic arts UV light source. The light source has a built in
integrator, but I use a photocell on the easel for printing. The olec also
has a very large fan built-in so the negative doesn't fry. The lens + film
train removes approximately 40% of the UV light from the beam according to
my UV meter. Thus my exposures start with the equivalent of a 900 watt bulb
located at lens height. From there, the inverse square law applies. I can
print gum enlargements with this set-up using a 10 minute exposure.
  Some lens companies make quartz glass enlarging lenses. I remember seeing
one on Glenn Evan's web page some time ago. These lenses would decrease the
exposure time substantially, since quartz does not absorb UV the way other
glasses do.
CHeers, Ed