roll film vs sheet film

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 05/09/00-01:38:56 PM Z

On Tue, 9 May 2000, Nick Makris wrote:

> I once found a roll of exposed VPS 120 in the trunk of my car - I had it
> developed and it turned out to be a roll from a trip almost 6 years prior.
> No noticable degradation.

I understand that color film for civilians (ie amateur use), is made so
that it "keeps" well, assuming it will sit a long time in the camera (tho
not necessarily 18 years), while professional color film is already
"ripe", therefore kept refrigerated.

I'm wondering if this difference might not obtain between black & white
roll & black & white sheet film? I know that a friend tested -- I think
it was T-Max -- and found a change in exposed film in just a day or so. Of
course he was (is) a fanatic, and those changes might be insignificant to
most users.

However, there is a difference being glossed over here: "Shelf life" of
the film before exposure is not the same as AFTER exposure. Those
sensitivity specks and their family, once they've been called forth, will
change... studies in latensification touch on this.

So Chris, depending on how soon you're going & how generous your tolerance
is, you probably could run a test now of a gray scale, & develop .... at
whatever intervals seem likely, to allow for duration of the trip. It's
even possible you might get a handle on change of exposure or development
as the trip progresses...

Judy