Still learning Pt/Pd

From: Nick Makris (nick@mcn.org)
Date: 05/10/00-09:00:03 AM Z

Hello again,

Still learing about Pt/Pd and ferric oxalate - I have been refining the finished images I'm working on and took the time to print one of my Pt/Pd negs on RC paper (as close as I could - very contrasty). The object of the exercise was to compare the details available as seen on Cranes Plantinotype (aka Cover) and RC paper. I was dismayed to see the the shadow detail did not compare favorably. The RC paper contained much more detail. We won't talk about the highlights because my test prints on RC were prepared to compare the darker areas. The tonal range of the piece seems quite qood - it's just the detail that is missing in the shadows. It appears to be missing in most of the 10 images I have been working on.

I recently opted to make my own Ferric Oxalate and in doing so eliminated the two solution method - this was done in order to prepare my own FO in quantities that I need at a particular time. I have no idea if this is affecting my results.

On the other hand, I have no experience to dictate what the level of detail should be apparent in these images - in other words should I find the same amount of detail on Cranes as I find on RC?

Any ideas?

Many thanks,

Nick