Re: Ferrotyping Alt. Prints. (original question)

From: Rod Fleming (rodfleming@sol.co.uk)
Date: 05/14/00-11:57:20 AM Z

Hi Tony,

Being into chrysotype puts you in the experimental class.

I think that the thickness of the gelatin layer is the issue; if it is very
thin or has sunk into the paper, it may be that the
paper base will show through whatever...........Can you make the gelatin
layer thicker? Or get it to sit higher- change of size perhaps? It seems to
me that the gelatin would have to have some measurable thickness over the
base for it to glaze properly. Maybe changing to a less textured paper would
help?

You have to remember that the papers that glazing works on are commercially
produced, with thick emulsion layers and very smooth substrates coated with
kaolin. I suspect you're going to have to get as close as you can to that
model, but how possible that is with your process I have not a clue.

I can't see any reason why one gelatin based process should be less amenable
to glazing than another, which is why I am offering these thoughts. I think
you should be able to do what you want but you might have to do a bit of
experiment. However it is also possible that in getting a paper that will
glaze you will lose some of the effects you desire.

Rod