Re: Glass Plate Negatives

From: Bob Kiss (bobkiss@caribsurf.com)
Date: 05/14/00-07:57:04 PM Z

DEAR JOHN,
    A few weeks ago another member of this list asked similar questions and
I recommended the "bible" on conservation, a book by Mary Ritzenthaller
named (I think) Administering Photographic Collections. As I am unsure of
the exact name, search under the author name. She gives very clear
instructions on cleaning and maintaining glass plate negatives. The clown
who borrowed my copy has not yet (after three weeks of bugging him on the
phone) returned it.
    Among other things, she recommends cleaning the GLASS side with cotton
and a little water. She recommends avoiding cleaning the emulsion side
unless absolutely necessary. PEC-12 available from LIGHT IMPRESSIONS is one
of the best cleaners if you must clean the emulsion side. As you suggest
that your negs are after the turn of the century, there is little risk of
them being collodion which MUST NOT be cleaned with any solvents or they
will dissolve. Always to test on a corner before taking the plunge.
    I have been CAREFULLY using a spring loaded contact frame on the
collection of 2,000 glass plate negs in my care without any problems. There
is a risk if you use a very thick paper or apply pressure unevenly but my
plates were made between 1880 and 1937 (the older ones being the most
brittle and fragile) and so far no problems.
    Ritzenthaller's book is worth its weight in platinum for the information
and in gold for the bibliography and references. I recommend it very
highly.
                                                CHEERS!
                                                BOB KISS