Re: sour cyanotype

From: Maylee Noah (eln@blarg.net)
Date: 05/22/00-08:22:08 AM Z

No, not flatter. I printed a step tablet and it printed with fewer steps
than previous tests. This means there would be more contrast in a print.

Since my post I've tried two things to improve the blotchiness. One was to
coat the paper more thinly by using more pressure on the coating rod on the
last (5th) pass. This helped a little but the print was still grainy.

Next I tried adding 4 drops of 27% ammonium dichromate to 2 ml sensitizer.
This smoothed the tones out to a useful level. The test strip showed a few
less steps than my first tests with fresh sensitizer but I am not sure I
printed it long enough to get to the dmax. My choice of how much dichromate
to try was arbitrary -- just wanted to see what would happen since I've read
that the dichromate will overcome the impurities. Since I mixed the
sensitizer from the Formulary's "New Cyanotype" kit there was already some
dichromate in it. I just added a lot more.

Maylee