Re: Renaissance wax --archival?

From: Katharine Thayer (kthayer@pacifier.com)
Date: 05/25/00-03:21:38 PM Z

Tom Hawkins wrote:

> The use of Renaissance wax has been discussed a few times on the list over
> the past few years. I like the appearance very much.
>
> However, have we ever had a definitive answer from a conservator ( or
> similarly informed professional) about its archival consequences?

Hi Tom and all,
I asked the same question some time back and never got an answer; I hope
someone who knows will respond this time. I've been given conflicting
advice: on one hand I've been told that any wax contains oil which can
compromise the longevity of paper. Furthermore, the information about
Renaissance wax in the Light Impressions catalog (I can't seem to get
the website tonight) says "This excellent wax is used by museums and
conservators to remove dirt and polish wood, leather, plastics and
marble." Nor does the label on the can itself invite one to use the
product on paper. On the other hand, the person I asked at Light
Impressions said offhandedly that it must be okay for paper because it's
acid-free. I'm still waiting for a more authoratative answer before I
use it on my work.
Katharine Thayer