Re: Longevity of Epson Prints... REALLY!

From: Editor - P.O.V. Image Service (editor@p-o-v-image.com)
Date: 05/26/00-10:52:43 AM Z

Gregory Parkinson wrote:

> At 12:28 AM -0400 5/26/00, Editor - P.O.V. Image Service wrote:
> >You might be interested in the new printer Epson has announced...
> >
> >The 2000P... It is expected to sell for about $800 starting in July...
> >
> >http://www.epson.com/whatsnew/ygtsi/2000p.html
> >

> What's the difference between this and the 1270? "Fade-resistant"
> vs "Archival" inks?

SUPPOSEDLY the archival inks are longer lasting... Different formulation..

There has been significant discussion of this on the PhotoDigital list.
Basically, everyone seems to be adopting an "I'll believe it when I see it"
attitude, given the latest problems of QC with 1270 media..

Of course, I don't think anyone on either the PHOTODIGITAL or Alt-photo
lists will be around to see an ACTUAL 200 years of print life...

Still, it would be a useful indicator of longevity... Personally, I think
it makes more sense to just archive final versions of the files on longterm
media. They can then (hopefully) be reprinted in future as needed, without
the generational data loss that would happen if an output image were
rescanned and reprinted...

For me, the issue is just to get output that will survive when displayed in
room light for two years, without considerable fading or color shift...

Keith

--
{       The views expressed in the preceding are those of the        }
{       author, alone, and  are neither the responsibility of,        }