Re: Sodium vs. Potassium Carbonate

From: Sil Horwitz (silh@earthlink.net)
Date: 05/26/00-02:31:25 PM Z

At 2000/05/27 01:12 AM -0400, Sandy King wrote:
>I have read that potassium carbonate offers better buffering than sodium
>carbonate, especially the crystalline form. This is the form recommended
>by Crawley for his FX-2 formula.

Don't buy that "buffering" statement. Because it is so much more expensive,
there are only two major reasons for using pot carbonate over the sodium
salt: (1) solubility is greater, so superconcentrated solutions are
possible, and (2) when a formula contains all other salts in the potassium
form, sodium compounds may change the overall ionic reaction.

Sil Horwitz, FPSA
Technical Editor, PSA Journal
teched@psa-photo.org
silh@earthlink.net