re: question

From: Carl Weese (cweese@earthlink.net)
Date: 05/27/00-10:26:57 AM Z

Jon and Rod,

A couple of other points about "editioning". Gallery owner John
Stevenson has a snappy but fairly cogent answer to the point that
negatives don't share the degradation with printing that happens to
intaglio media. He explains photographic editions by saying, "no, the
negative won't wear out, but the photographer will if he prints it too
often." This suits me fine: I have no desire to print any negative 35
times. I have far too many negatives not yet printed, and there are far
too many pictures I want to make but haven't yet.

Another edition point is that while silver prints and platinum prints
can be made in a run of essentially identical copies, like a proper
intaglio edition, this isn't necessarily the best idea. I'm a firm
believer that there usually is no one single best or necessary
interpretation of a negative. Certainly not of mine. Quite disparate
printings can often be equally valid interpretations of a picture. Does
this turn them into semi-monoprints? Can an edition be made up of
non-identical prints? Can a picture be 'editioned' in a limited number
of prints that may be in different media? Quite a few questions involved here.

---Carl

--
Website with online galleries and workshop information at:
http://home.earthlink.net/~cweese/