Re: BIG

Judy Seigel wrote:

> On Fri, 6 Oct 2000, Jack Fulton wrote:
 Wall's wall sized pieces do echo for me but my favorites at the
> > moment are Susan Derges' photograms of English streams. Maybe they are not
> > THAT big but most wonderful.
>
> I don't know the Derges photograms.  We're so far offtopic already, that
> seems quite ontopic. Can you describe?

She goes out at night and rolls out large pieces of Cibachrome paper
under the surface of streams, or at the edge of the ocean where the surf
can spill across it, and then shines a quick light to capture the image
of the water itself, the textures and patterns of the moving water. The
color of the print depends for some reason on the ambient light; a
cloudy night will yield a different background color than a clear
moonlit night, for example. I agree with Jack; they are quite wonderful,
though all I've seen of them is in a book.
Katharine Thayer