Re: BIG

On Sun, 8 Oct 2000, Rod Fleming wrote:

> Hi

  ^^^^^^^

Who he? European spelling of "Degas"?

	was himself a very enthusiastic photographer, as were many other
> painters.)

> BTW one of the main reasons that painters like big canvases  is that oil
> paint is a sod to use on a small scale............

I see no profit in arguing semantics with Rod, but for those interested in
the topic, "Before Photography," by Peter Galassi, and much of Clement
Greenberg shed light -- among many others, including I daresay Lady
Eastlake and Wm Henry himself. Greenberg is trashed for "formalism" & some
terrible boners when he got drunk with power, but always rewards reading,
for instance, on the difference between "realistic, illusionist art" and
"modernist" painting:

"...Manet's paintings became the first modernist ones by virtue of the
frankness with which they declared the surfaces on which they were
painted....Whereas one tends to see what is *in* an Old Master before
seeing it as a picture, one sees a modernist painting as a picture first."

That's from epigraph to a Janet Malcolm essay Dec 4 1978 N Yorker. (Source
not cited.) Malcolm is also trashed in photo circles, but this essay,
ranging from Robert Frank, to Harry Callahan, and relation between Siskind
& de Kooning, is brilliant.

Judy