Re: BIG

Lukas Werth wrote:
> .... I think a picture may well include a full figure or even
> several persons and still signify an intimate athmosphere...
> Two full
> figures of women are shown, yet their poses convey to me a very intimate
> athmosphere: the observer has the feeling of watching a glimpse of a
> private note, wispered between two relatives or friends - well, if one is
> prepared to see friendship as a possibly intimate relationship....

That is true, however do not confuse viewing an intimate portrayal from
a personal distance and viewing from an intimate distance.  A question
may be: Does the image "Woman of Lagartera" personalize the intimate
situation?  How do we as the viewer relate to the intimate relationship
depicted?  How would a peer of Echagüe view this?

> An interesting question arises for me here: how can messages from one
> culture translated into another, or made general, through art? This problem
> is compounded through different estetics, and different concepts of
> "privacy", "intimacy", and so on.

Interesting indeed.  Are there fundamental aesthetics which transcend
all barriers?  There certainly seem to be in music as well as visual
arts.  Other building blocks to achieving communications may be physical
constants (such as gravity, heat, light, wind, water, etc.),
mathematical relationships (such as laws of physics, chemistry, etc.),
and biological facts (such as birth, death, aging).

--
Jeffrey D. Mathias
http://home.att.net/~jeffrey.d.mathias/