Re: esoteric question

> I thought the arbitrary rules on "composition" had long since been
consigned
> to camera clubs.
> Let your watchword be " There ain't no rules!"
> Randall Webb

At the top of my Compositon Principles handout I have written :

Definition of composition:  1) the strongest way of seeing, 2) the pleasing
selection and arrangement of visual elements in a picture, or 3) visual
editing.  Caveat:  Don't be afraid, after reading the suggestions below, to
experiment.  Take risks.  You may fail, but then again you may make new
discoveries.  Remember that most professional photographers are satisfied
with two or three successful images per roll.  That said, the key to
breaking the rules is to first learn them. The rules are not arbitrary, but
come from the study of what we already know is pleasing to the eye.

At the end of the handout, after 10 principles, I have this:

And, to end with Edward Weston:  "To consult the rules of composition before
taking a photograph is like consulting the laws of gravitation before taking
a walk."   Best advice: internalize these rules, and then go walking!

Thus, Randall, I agree and disagree with you at the same time.  It is easy
for me to disregard the rules because I have been a painter for many years.
However, with beginning photography students, as well as many camera club
goers perhaps, there needs to be some direction.  Point well taken, tho:
rules is such a cruddy word...
Chris